TOPIC: Many people go to university for academic study. More people should be encouraged to do vocational training because there is lack of qualified workers such as electricians and plumbers. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
1. Reasons why more people should get vocational education:
- At vocational schools, students learn by doing => they can apply what they learn in class to actual situations more easily => become skilled more quickly
- Most vocational programs take less time to complete than those from ordinary colleges or universities => a faster, more convenient path to a career
- Students who do not excel in traditional academic areas, or who have little interest in them, should have the opportunity to be trained in whatever skills their natural gifts and preferences lead them to.
2. Reasons why people should enter higher education (education at college or university):
- These days, several large employers tend to recruit highly educated people with a university degree => studying at universities may improve students’ chances of getting highly-paid (or at least decent) jobs.
- Students going to university will have the opportunity to acquire professional knowledge for a particular job or a specialist field of work.
- Studying for a degree teaches people to be an independent thinker, improves their analysis skills, and challenges the way they think about many aspects of life.
3. Personal opinion (suggested):
There should be a combination of cognitive, manual and soft skills when people enter the workforce. A lack of any of these skills may not bring about desired results in their career.